Kitchen....Decisions, Decisions

Lately the only thing on my mind has been the kitchen. We have made many decisions and I have been meaning to tell you about them all. Two things have prevented me. One: Just as I finished my rather long post  my computer went crazy and erased everything. I got frustrated and gave up for the next couple days after. Having reno on the brain 24/7 will do that to you. Two: I got deathly sick and couldn't move from my cocooned state on the couch. I am better today, though still not 100%. I was very blessed that my husband was home recovering from being sick and was able to help with Audrey in the morning and take her to his mom's in the afternoon. Doc said it is just a virus and should just run it's course. He suggested raw garlic in some warm water. I'm confident it has helped me but you can imagine how lovely I smell =). Anywho, enough about grossness and back to lovely thoughts.....my kitchen.

The biggest question was cabinets. I had been thinking long and hard about this and decided to go with white, shaker style. My gracious husband relented his hopes of natural wood cabinets.....what is it with guys and natural wood? I have to say I have not met one man who preferred painted wood. Not to say that I don't like some natural wood here and there to warm a room up but I usually prefer a painted wood overall. Anywho again.....I keep veering off topic. I guess my brain is still clouded in virus land. Here's an example of the kitchen cabinets.

                                                                        Source

I love how clean and simple they are. The next decision was the countertop which we decided to do in a grey stone. We will likely have an island that will have a butcherblock top. We had thought about a butcherblock counter throughout but realized they can be just as expensive as stone so stone won due to it's durability. The backsplash will be a white subway tile with grey grout. I must interject here and tell you how my father has been rather worried about my color choices. He has been trying to find nice ways of bringing this to my attention by asking me multiple times to think really hard about my decisions and to try and picture how it will look and not make any haste decisions. Oh Dad, if only you knew how long I have thought about this kitchen =). Since there is quite a bit of white, I will be bringing in some color through accessories. Here are some ideas.


This kitchen is a great example of what I'm thinking. I plan to bring in yellow as an accent color. I have a yellow stand mixer so that will be a great start. Doesn't it just look so bright and happy? I think kitchens should be one of the happiest rooms in the house...that and the laundry room.


There is a window above the sink so something like these curtains would be a great place to bring in some pattern.


I love this pendant! I really want something like this above the sink. It would add so much character.

We have pretty much finalized the layout and have ordered the cabinets. Tomorrow we will likely start shopping for a farmhouse sink and hood for the range. We decide to forgo the standard microwave/hood above the stove since I am trying to get away from using the microwave too often. Plus, I love how a nice stainless steel hood looks. So most of the kitchen decisions have been made but it's always the little things that can take forever to decide on....like hardware. Hmmmmm.

Comments

Popular Posts